The blue series is still phonetically decodable but introduces new concepts. These are:
- Double blends whether initial such as crab cr-a-b or final blends such as ramp r-a-mp.
- Triple blends such as sprig spr-i-g
- Double consonants such as ll, ss.
- Consonant digraphs (ng, ch, sh, th, nk) - these are different to double blends because the sounds of the consonants change when in a digraph.
- Consonant trigraphs such as 'tch'
- Schwa vowel - these are where the vowel sound changes on the end of a word - examples are lemon (pronounced lem-un), infant (pronounced inf-un-t), camel (pronounced cam-ul).
- Box one - initial double blends.
- Box two - Final blends.
- Box three - assortment of initial blends, final blends and both together (e.g. st-a-mp).
- Box four - introduce triple blends, double consonants and consonant digraphs.
- Box five - themes and exciting words to read like 'stink'!!
- picture cards - reinforce particular blends such as all 'ng' words, reinforce 'schwa' vowel, introduce compound words like 'wigwam' and 'dustbin'.
- Blue lists - reinforce particular blends but bring compound words and schwa vowels in amongst other concepts already introduced.
Later will post lists of the words that are suitable to use for each section and describe how I am organising the materials on a practical level.