Monday 28 February 2011

Hungry Caterpillar Literacy and Numeracy

One of the little ones that I childmind loves the story of the Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. I found these printables and knew they were just perfect for a couple of extension activities. We read the story together and picked out the appropriate pieces as we went, laying them out in order (see above).

The set also contains caterpillars of increasing sizes and we ordered these using the language of bigger/smaller and biggest/smallest. The little ones have been exploring opposites and comparisons for a few weeks now and this fitted perfectly.

I did find lots of more complicate ideas on line that really sound wonderful but I have learned that less is often more and that a concept is more completely understood when it is simple. I store the cutouts in a plastic pocket along with the book and keep it in the book cart to be used when the children want it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    Thank you for leaving me a comment on my blog. I have just moved to East London. Did you manage to start a 6-9 Montessori course? Take Care X

    ReplyDelete