Thursday 21 March 2013

Reflections on a Week of Home Schooling

Idris found lots to entertain himself this week around the house whilst I was busy with Eve and Faith - I have occasionally dreamed of the day when this would happen! It was only for 5-10 minutes at a time but it was enough to explain something and get the girls going, and he was so pleased with himself! None of it was contrived, I just went with what he showed an interest in, so potatoes and plant pots started the week.....
Followed by a fascination with a syringe.....
...... and with his tummy and the sensation of a brush on his skin.....
He happily joined in with some model making with a few bits and pieces of his own to fiddle with.
Another day a pot full of paper clips took his fancy......
..... as well chatting to the recorded message on the phone telling him to hang up and try again!!
He enjoyed listening to Eve read her book......
And spent a fantastic 20 minutes getting to grips with scissors and cutting play dough.....
....before whizzing around the lounge on his block trolley being pushed by Faith!

He is still waking up between 4.30 and 5.30 am which is wearing, although the positive effect from it is that the girls are getting up much earlier too and we are busy by 7 many mornings! Idris then sleeps from about 10.30 so I can continue the flow doing the things that need more quiet and concentration when he is asleep!

I have a sneaking suspicion that I took on more than I should have done this week. I hadn't planned on having a cold last weekend which is when I normally organise everything for the coming week so played catch up all week trying to pull things together at the last minute. I have pretty much managed it although there are a few things that still need doing for tomorrow's science session at the HE group. I'm procrastinating about it by blogging instead!! I've just got so many ideas and there are so many things that the girls are interested in, and I'm aware that the pace of life will slow in the summer when we have a newborn to nurture so I'm trying to make the most of the time that we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment